Monday, December 23, 2019

Advent. Message


Massage. I keep looking at the list of Advent words and seeing the one for today as “massage.” What message is my brain sending me?
I can certainly understand it as “good news,” but I’m pretty sure it’s not the good news I’m supposed to be pondering in my heart these days. On the other hand, if we are to love our neighbors as ourselves we do have to have some understanding of and practices of love for self. Maybe that massage message is telling me something that I should hear.
Of course, if I leave it at that, then I’m missing the whole part about loving my neighbor. Ah, and there’s the rub, as it were. Because I soon as I own up to the fact that I owe my neighbor the same love that I feel owed, in some sense, then I have to interrogate all kinds of things:
Who is my neighbor? Who is included in that? Does it include the one up the street who posts his MAGA signs? Surely it includes the guy who has been down on the corner holding the “need money” sign. It probably includes Mitch McConnell, too.
What does love look like for those neighbors I don’t really too much like? Surely that must include wanting for them the same things I want for myself, my family, my close circle of friends, my church communities.
What, then, do I want for those whom I love?
Massages for all! Well, not really that, exactly, but I suppose I want for the ones I love the same sense of peace and general well-being I experience when I do treat myself to a massage. The Biblical word for that would be shalom, and so, my wish for myself, my beloveds, and my neighbors this season is simply that: shalom in body, mind, and spirit. May you experience that, and then, grounded in that sense of deep peace, may we find ways to work together to ensure a world in which all of God’s children can lay their claim to the same peace. 
That sounds like good news to me. That feels like a message worth passing along.

No comments: