Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Advent. Confess


To confess is to declare, to avow, to acknowledge. It can mean owning up to faults and failings, and, in the extreme, to crimes. Or it can mean owning one’s faith and conviction. “Here I stand. I can do no other,” is a confession of faith.
My confession today is more the owning up kind: I confess that it’s my birthday and I don’t want to write anything for Advent. So there. Maybe tomorrow’s word will inspire. Maybe tomorrow will inspire. Maybe.
As for today, I’m going to skip the writing in favor of some running … and then I’m going to drink a glass of birthday wine with my beloved. That last piece – a glass of wine with my beloved – is a confession of the other kind: a word of faith and conviction. Here I stand – with her. I can do no other.

No comments: