Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Advent. Grace

Sometimes you write. Sometimes you remember what you've written. This is one of those remembering kinds of days. Here's a little song I wrote a half dozen years ago, inspired by a Facebook post from MaryAnn McKibben Dana. Now that I'm wandering her old stomping grounds, it seems right to pull this out of the files.

-->
It’s Gonna Be Grace 
It’s gonna be grace that gets me through today; It’s gonna be hope that lights the way
It’s gonna take love to blaze the trail; Gotta hold on to the faith when we triumph –
and when we fail.

Coffee’s on the counter and the sleep’s still in my eyes.
Morning mist across the hill the sun begins to rise
Through breakfast scramble chaos rules; Three buses take three kids to schools
One had a project testing joules; But left behind her bag of tools

Gonna head down to the bus stop for another day of work
I’m self-employed but sometimes the boss is still a jerk
Though the work is good and feeds the soul; Sometimes the office takes its toll
It’s barely noon but I’m ready to roll; Would it be alright to take a three-hour stroll

     Some days you rise up to change the world but it’s all that you can do
     To change the lights or change the sheets or change your socks and shoes
     But the grace of God that shines in you is always there to pull me through
     I pray the light shines in me, too. Today that’s all that I can do.

Gonna head out to the garden, sink my hands into the earth
Bend my body to the rhythms of planting and rebirth
But the sun is hot; root weeds sink deep; Bone marrow weariness starts to creep
Before too long I just want to sleep; ‘Cause there’s no faith left to take a leap

No comments: