Wednesday, June 14, 2006

For Sale ...

So, they're auctioning off Dr. King's Letter from the Birmingham Jail. I'm off to Birmingham tomorrow morning for the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church. Injustice anywhere is still a threat to justice everywhere, and I suppose that's why I felt called to go to Birmingham this year in the slim hope that my GLBT sisters and brothers might find a measure of justice within the church and the broader culture. Sometimes the arc of the moral universerve bends too slowly toward justice. This is particularly difficult to accept when the church itself resists the bending arc. King understood that better than anyone, as he expressed so powerfully in the final third of his epistle. I'm not heading for the Birmingham Jail -- at least not planning any such thing! Rather, during these next few days, I'll post "Letters from the Birmingham Convention Center."

No comments: