Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Brace yourselves

"The man with a toothache thinks everyone happy whose teeth are sound. The poverty-stricken man makes the same mistake about the rich man."
So said George Bernard Shaw, making me wonder would you rather be a rich man with a tooth ache than a poor man with good teeth? Chew on that for a while ... there seems to be rather a decay of good humor here as we wait for a bridge to a better blog.
Not much to sink your teeth into here today, although somehow the combination of a trip to the dentist and a snow day reminded me of my favorite wee tale about my paternal grandmother who lost her dentures sledding down a huge hill near her home in Chattanooga when my father was a little boy. She never found the teeth, and never lived down the tale.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey, what's that story about our grandmother? I don't think I remember that one! Lost her teeth, huh--my only memory of her and her teeth is having a little conversation with her in the nursing home, shortly before she died. . .the nurses had lost one of her dental plates, and she was musing on the indignities that people found they could put up with, when they had to. I guess she didn't feel like adding in that other denture story, from when she was young and spry. She still had her sense of humor, though, even in that awful place.
xx yo sistah, who still has most all of her (never braced) teeth, and doesn't expect to sled again in this life