Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Getting Over Ourselves



I have been on the road most of the last six weeks. Interestingly enough, I've managed to be out of internet range most of that time. Six weeks of mostly off line time gets one quickly in touch with one's connectivity addictions.
How long can you go without checking e-mail? Facebook? Your favorite web sites or blogs?
How long can you go without coffee? Chocolate?
I didn't suffer any shakes, but I was certainly well aware of a desire to "check in."
I was also well aware that my checking in or not had little, if any, impact on anyone else. The world will get along just fine without me.
The first step on the road to letting go of our own idolatries probably lies in recognizing that, for most of us, the most important idol is the one who looks back at us from the mirror ... and then in acknowledging that even that one is not essential to the rest of the world.
None of that is to say that we are not important to our families and communities, and that a very few of us are even important beyond those contexts. But none of us is essential. The world will go on without us. It got on just fine before us, and it will keep on just fine long after we're gone.
Coincidentally, perhaps, at a gathering this evening discussing some verses from Luke 6, we concluded that perhaps one of the lesser known of Jesus' beatitudes was, "blessed are those who get over themselves ...." We didn't quite come up with the second part, "for they shall ...."
As for me, I've not gotten over my six weeks in the non-wired wilderness and shall return to the indispensable blogging!
Here are a few pictures from the sojourn.

3 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Excellent post (great photos) and a good point/counterpoint to my recent thoughts on technology.

David Ensign said...

Thanks, MaryAnn. Your thoughts on tech are subtle and nuanced. It's a struggle that all of us affluent developed world folks have -- or should have. And, yes, when my current phone dies I really want an I-phone. No, no, no. I mean I NEED one!

Julia said...

Love that nugget from our gathering!

Don't you mean you NEEEEEEEEEEED one? LOL