Thursday, December 19, 2019

Advent. Worship


Well, there's another day missed. The irony this time is that I was bogged down in creative bulletins for all of the worship services of Christmastide. 
The first question of the Westminster catechism, a set of questions and answers that for hundreds of years shaped churches in the Reformed tradition, asks about the chief end and purpose of human life. The answer is "to glorify God and enjoy Him [sic] forever." 
In other words: worship is why we're here, according to the Westminster divines. 
I tend to think that they posited God in their own image way more than they'd care to admit. It takes a pretty damned self-centered diety to create creatures merely to have a bunch of doting beings sitting around worshipping their creator. 
But I digress. Also, I have to get back to creating worship opportunities. That seems to be my chief end this week.


No comments: